Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blurthday.

Fuck. I'm old. I don't know how it happened, but there it is. I am going to hold onto 28 for as long as possible, but in reality? Yeah... I'm not fooling anyone. I am falling down that fucking rabbit hole, in which I am now closer to 40 than 30. Shit. Really?

Unfortunately. Really. Time marches on, friends. Yes, it does.

Here is a little something I wrote when I was 18 on the subject:

Do we
ever really know when the end will come? Life is temporary,
and at any time, it can be
taken from you.
Happy Birthday.

I did have a nice day of good, distracting activities to keep my mind off of that little tidbit, however. On my way to dropping everyone off at their respective daily posts, I could hear my phone chirping away. People texting me, and my being tempted to return the love, right then and there, because... I'm a talker, even when it's not expressed in an audible way. But yeah, no. I'm a good girl, and I don't text and drive. Ever. I still have some to return, and I'll get to it soon. Thanks, everyone!

After dropping everyone off, I drove downtown and picked up my friend Jenn, and we met up with our friends Karen and SanQ at Petit Provence for breakfast. They have about 80 different kinds of mimosas. I tried the hibiscus one. Damn, that was tasty! It was so nice to catch up with the ladies, and just hang and gab for a little while. I am still getting used to not having my kids with me during the day, and having all of this time to do adult things is really foreign.

But well? Also really fucking nice. I kinda forgot what that was like, after having this gig for the past 9 years.

Adult time. Who knew?

After dropping Jenn off, I found Mr. Hed, and we did a little shopping... and then had a little uh... picnic in Washington Park that I won't go into detail about, but yeah. Let's just say I know how to have a good time, and am not really that scared of the cops... anymore. A-hem.

Before I knew it, it was time to pick up the kids. I took them out for cupcakes at New Cascadia. Now, this is a place I can sink my teeth into. Gluten free goodies that are actually pretty damn good. The kids were quite impressed, and they aren't even on any sort of restrictions when it comes to this sort of thing, so yeah... that's saying something. There is a little soy in their frosting, but I think I'm finally at a point where a little bit won't hurt me once in a while. I feel OK right now, so I'm guessing that's a good thing. I just won't be doing that every day.

We went to the park for a bit, and ran our kinks out. It was so intensely beautiful yesterday, I did not want to spend much time indoors. Laurelhurst Park was a mighty good backdrop, I must say.

We went home a little later on, then I got gussied, complete with my favourite sexy boots, and went to the bar, and got goooooood and drunk with more friends. I will say that a Hot Toddy made with Knob Creek is worth trying. Blood orange old fashioned's are not too bad, either. And Bulleit Rye? Win. Yes. Win, my friends.

This morning, I woke up quite hung over, but pretty darn happy. We were supposed to go out again tonight, but I went insane and decided to make apple butter from 50,000,000 apples. It is still cooking now, and I'm still recovering.

All in all, freaking awesome birthday. And it's just begun!

-H


No comments:

Post a Comment