Monday, November 5, 2012

Gratitude...

I have some things to be grateful for, for sure. One of them, is the fact that we, as humans, are allowed to set boundaries for our own comfort, and well-being.  Sometimes, this means doing things others may not necessarily like, but may be necessary for ourselves, and our sanity.

I have had to say no to a few things lately, and it was extremely difficult, but necessary.  There are just not enough hours in the day for everything I want to do, so I have been needing to prioritize a ton, and stick to the core things, so that I don't burn out.

Wow.  Saying: "no."

It feels good, and awful, at the same time.

But as a good friend pointed out to me in the past week; it is not my job to save everyone from the onerous tasks that I may, under different circumstances, really excel at.  It is my job to take care of myself, because I do have other people in my life who depend on me, and need me to be there, instead of 50 different places, at once.  And even as I type this, I usually do have about 50 things going at once.  I do thrive on multitasking, but at some point, adding that extra ball is tough for any good juggler.

I also need to remember that I don't have local family support, as others may have.  The mister and I rarely get a night out together, and when we do, we have to pay a sitter.  I sometimes find myself getting pretty jealous of my friends who talk often about their kid-free weekends.  We get a few a year, and sometimes, they end up being filled with things we don't really want to do, like house maintenance, or other chores. 

So, free time?  For me?  It's really at a premium.  I need to remember that it is OK for me to say no to things when I am feeling like I am about to burn out.  I am extremely grateful that I have friends who understand this.  I guess that is part of growing up, 'non?

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment