Friday, November 9, 2012

Days off. I fail at Nablopomo...

...but if that's all I fail at?  I'm doing pretty good.  I decided to dress fancy today, because it has been days since I have been able to do that.  House cleaning does pay pretty well, but let's face it.  It's not very glamourous.  And well?  I need glamourous.  Sorry, but I do.

Today has been mostly about leisure.  Lunch out with the kids, a parent teacher conference thrown in for good measure, followed by dinner with friends in a bit.

The little one is doing well in school, and really blossoming.  She loves it, and has been making all sorts of progress just in the few months that she has been there.  This is great, and I am very happy to see that she is so happy.  I don't fantasize about having any sort of control over the lives of these people I brought into the world, but I sure am enjoying watching them find the things that make them happiest.

She asked me the other day whether she should be an opera singer, or an artist.  I told her she had plenty of time to decide, and well?  Why not be both?

Her teacher told her she already is an artist.  So cool.  I love this school so much!  I love the way that the people working there honestly care about these children, and not some agenda, or rigid curriculum, to the exclusion of all else.  I had the latter experience, growing up in LA. I don't miss it, and am glad to have found something better for my children.  School is challenging enough without all the added pressure of fitting into one particular mould, and being told you don't measure up, if you don't.

This may no longer be the case, but as an undiagnosed dyslexic in the 1980's, I encountered those very words via a couple of my teachers, and it made things very difficult for me, because I had trouble believing I could do much.  It made life pretty hard for me for a good, long time, actually.  So, finding a school that actually believes in meeting a child where they are and working with them accordingly? WIN!

It is not looking like Ru has dyslexia.  She seems to be plugging right along, within the range of whatever normal is. (I hate that term!)   But as I have mentioned before, my older daughter, Lily, has Mixed Expressive/Receptive disorder, and had extreme difficulty learning to read for quite a few years.  Well?  She is now in 4th grade, and is reading and writing this year.  I am so proud of her!  And so are her teachers!  Success is amazing to watch, especially when it's something that is just as important to the child, as it is to those around her, who care about her.  That is HUGE.

Growing up, I didn't have quite the same issues, but thanks to the way I was handled by the public school system, I had no confidence, and therefore no drive to succeed, until it really mattered, and well?  That meant community college to start off with.

So, to see her get excited about learning new things, and taking on new challenges?  One of the most satisfying moments of my life!

I may have failed at Nablopomo, but I must have at least done a couple things right.

-H


No comments:

Post a Comment