Friday, November 2, 2012

Wow, it's been a while.

Lots of stuff has happened since my last post here.  Lots.  I am now currently running two businesses.

I don't look down.

That's my secret.

Things are going well there.  I actually hand off work to a couple of friends when I can't handle the load on my own, so that's nice.  The one that is doing really well, is my house cleaning business.  I decided to give that a whirl when I wanted to get more serious about paying off my photography studio.

Because... waiting to turn a profit from that?  Yeah... no.  It takes a LOT of time to get up and running with photography.  I have several thousands of dollars tied up in equipment now, so I must be serious!

Well, yes, I am.  In fact, while I was investing all the time, planning, and money into that little venture, (Including the purchase of a 3500 sq ft, commercially zoned house, which does include a studio space with a secure, separate entry,) I was singing "Climb Every Mountain" a lot.  Especially this line:  "A dream that will need all the love you can give, every day of your life... for as long as you live!"

It does.  And I do.

But I also have mondo responsibilities; raising two children, running the aforementioned haunted mansion, dealing with other things like investment properties, and the maintenance and upkeep involved there, involvement in our school, and needing to be in about 8 places at once, etc., etc., ad nauseum.  I have been doing this for a couple of years now, and all things considered, the photography portion of my life, the DREAM, portion of my life, has, admittedly, been pretty slow.

But!  I will not give up.  It will happen.  I have faith that it will.  Why?  Because I have been doing it for this long, and I still have the drive and determination to make it happen.  This is the first school year in which I have had this much time to dedicate to my craft, and get things going, so you can bet that I am going to make the most of it.

I am also learning to prioritize my time.  In the beginning of the house cleaning venture, I just started by taking any job I could get.  The response was amazing, and I was extremely flattered, so I did my best to make time for everyone.  Well, I learned that I am not superhuman.  I got overwhelmed very quickly.  I figured out that I need a few days a week to dedicate to the photography end of things, or it will never happen. That said, I do have a few regulars I clean for, 4 days a week.  That leaves three for photos, and maintaining my studio.

This past week has been a bit crazy making.  I admit to having a meltdown yesterday, but I am better today.  The crazy doesn't usually last too long before I find those boot straps again, and figure out what I need to do with them.

But, for fun, I'll give you a little rundown.  This is kind of what my week was like:  Get up while it's still dark out, actually cook breakfast, because we are healthy like that, drive the mister to work, swing by the school, and drop off kids, go to work, go to the gym, pick up kids, come home, help with homework, cook a reasonably nutritious dinner that said kids will actually eat, go over to the rental, paint, somehow figure out how to get the kids ready for Halloween, come home, crash.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  All goddamn week.

Until last night, when I did manage to squeeze in a beautiful, gifted hairdo from a dear friend, and cocktails.  Today?  All about leisure, and baking some cookies for a class potluck/movie night we will attend later on, and possibly, a night out with the ladies, if I am still awake by the time that rolls around.  Sounds pretty good to me.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment