Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 24: Playlist

Hm. I have no idea here. I like music. Most people know that. Don't make me pick 10 songs. Or... do. OK fine. I'll do it, but I'm not making up a list for any one individual person. I'm not really that sentimental. But anyway, here are some songs I like. I'll essplain why when I get to that point in this here bloggity post. Oh, and if you click on the linkage to have a listen, be sure to do it by right-clicking and opening the links in a new tab. Apparently blogger isn't sophisticated enough to do that for you. Apologies...

1. Judgment of the moon and stars by Joni Mitchell It's a love letter she wrote to Beethoven, dig? You must listen to the lyrics. Especially these ones: "You've got to shake your fist at lightning now, you've got to roar like forest fire. You've got to spread your light like blazes all across the sky. They're gonna aim the hoses on ya. Show 'em you won't expire; not 'til you burn up every passion, not even when you die." Pretty fucking powerful, 'eh?

2. Girl Anachronism by The Dresden Dolls. If you aren't easily offended, you must hear this band. You. Must. So much energy. So much talent. Such a crazy/amazing duo. Amanda is probably the most amazing piano player I have ever heard, (and believe me, that's SAYING SOMETHING.) and Brian... wow. Just... wow. That is some fast drumming, right there. That's what that is.

3. Rhythm and Soul by Spoon. This one is kind of reminiscent of something by The Zombies, etc. Makes me think of semi-cool winter days as a kid when I would go to Licorice Pizza with my dad and pick up a new record to spin. See? Not all memories of my dad are bad ones...

4. Art School Girl by Stone Temple Pilots Hey, I had to throw something in from my college days... just for this, I'll add one on the end, 'k?

5. OK fine, one more... 'cause it brings the memories... Walkabout by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

6. Beware of Darkness by George Harrison 'Cause... how could anyone hate that guy?

7. Empty Pages by Traffic Upon discovering their music, I developed a bizarre retro-impossicrush on Steve Winwood. Hey, he was hot back then! I have no idea what happened to him in the '80s, but that decade was hard on everyone, 'non?

8. Going to a town by Rufus Wainwright. Amen, brotha! Amen!

9. Miss Otis Regrets Written by Cole Porter, sung by the great Ella.

10. The Girl In The Other Room by Diana Krall because, yeah, who hasn't been that girl at one time or another?

11. Pump It Up by Elvis Costello OK, this may have been by slight association, but it is one of my favourites by him.

12. Combination of the two by Janis Joplin. By far, my favourite by her. I can't tell you why. Because I don't really know. It's high energy, happy, and rockin'. That's all I claim to know.

13 All day sucker by Stevie. I love singing along to this one. Not my favourite, but I easily have a day's worth of his stuff, and there is just... yeah. Nope. Can't pick just one. Sorry.

OK, last one... because I couldn't leave P-Funk off of this list. See what I mean? Do you reaaaaly want to get me started? Do you? Because yeah. This is what happens! I just keep going. Dammit, crazy blog meme from hell... look what you did! Fine. This won't be the last one. No. No, it won't.

14. Tear the roof off the sukka by Parliament Funkadelic. You know, it took me about 50 listens to that song before I finally picked up where that particular line is? Yeah, I can be dense at times...

15. This one, #15, is, in fact, a cover. But dammit. I like it better than the original. Whole lotta love originally by Led Zeppelin, covered by Tina Turner. It's fan-fucking tastic. No, really, it is.

16. Walk on the wild side Lou Reed. 'Cause you know, an occasional walk on the wild side can be pretty damn fun.

17. Chemtrails by Beck. No, I'm not a believer in the hype... I just like the song. It reminds me a bit of Alan Parsons, only it rocks just a little bit more. I love the drums in particular.

18. Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying! Belle and Sebastian Oh, it's emo. Terribly so... and oh, I identify...

19. One Thousand Tears Of A Tarantula Dengue Fever. Is it weird that I find this terribly sexy? Because I do.

20. Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed David Bowie. Would my list be complete without him? No, it may not be my favourite by him. I do, however, love how he laughingly sings "It's very catching." Honestly? I have a day's worth of his stuff, too. There is just no way I could narrow it. But this one is just so wonderfully weird, and I'm all about that.

21. Dancin' in an Easy Groove Lonnie Smith, before he was Dr. Lonnie Smith. It's an easy groove, and I dance to it often.

22. Lady Marmalade The original is the only way to groove here. Sorry, I hated the cover.

23. Border Song Elton John. When he was still good and not all corporate... and Disney.

24. Haitian Divorce Steely Dan. It's kinda goofy as a choice, but the drama that plays out in the song... and the clever ending hooked me. Shut up.

K. I think I got it out of my system for now. Sort of.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment