Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 13: Band

Day 13: Band

Today's assignment requires a letter to a band who has gotten me through some tough ass days (sic.) I don't know if I can do this with any balance, since I think there are plenty who have. As I have said before, I usually do turn to music when I'm having a very dark time. There are some bands out there who can help me out of those times, and others that annoy me to the point that I just can't deal, and end up turning the radio off, sending me further into a funk. I shouldn't let it do that, but seriously. If I have to hear "You Will Leave A Mark" by A Silent Film one more time... arrgh!!!

Seriously.

Why play to the point of ridiculous saturation, in which case no one wants to hear your song ever again? Why? Why do that to people, or artists? Who wins here? What's sad is, I actually liked that song at one point in time.

I guess I'll go with an old standby, whom I have been listening for years. Stevie. And no, I'm not referring to the bland shit he came up with in the '80s. I don't even know what to say about some of that stuff.

No. I didn't just call to say I love you. I mean, sometimes I do that, but usually I have a reason that has more purpose, since I'm not the mushy type.

Dear Stevie,

I don't even really know where to begin with what you do, and what you have done in the past. You were clearly born to sing and play, and that comes through with most of your material. If I'm feeling really down, all I have to do is put on "Songs In The Key Of Life", or "Talking Book", and I'm happy again. I don't know what it is about those two albums, because a lot of your others are amazing as well. For instance: "Innervisions"? Pure genius.

The way you pour yourself into everything, and layer your harmonies is more than brilliant. Is there a word? Nope. Sorry. You surpass them. All I know is that when I listen to your music, and everything that goes into your music, my senses are lifted, and my core feels like it is filling.

And yes, I do sing along. And yes, I secretly dream about performing with you.

So, really, and truly. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, because there are times when your funk brings me out of mine, and I can get to the other side, where I need to be to fulfill my many responsibilities. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My darling, you save lives.

Thank you!

-H


No comments:

Post a Comment