Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 7: Someone who has made your life worth living.



This one is pretty easy, because there are 2. First there was Lily, who made me into a mother. I learned a lot with her, since I was an only child, and had VERY limited experience with babies and children. I had never lived with anyone significantly younger than me before she came along. I can remember worrying greatly that I would break her. I was so terrified to leave and go home from the hospital after she was born, that I spent the extra day allowed there, even though they told me I could go home a day before that.

But I muddled through with her, and she is still alive, and is a sweet, loving child, so I figure I must be doing something right. We still face many challenges. She has speech delays, and appears to be dyslexic, so we are having to figure out how to either jump over those hurtles or find a way around or under them. There is more than one way to learn something, and if conventional methods aren't the path for her, we will work on her own personalized path that will help her succeed. Her spirit is one that endures though, so I have a feeling she's going to be OK.

Ruby is obviously the other one. If it weren't for my pregnancy with her, I don't know that I would have researched alternative medicine. I had a successful, low-key, fast and furious VBAC with her out of hospital. The experience left me feeling incredibly empowered and restored my faith in myself and my body.

During her babyhood, I discovered attachment parenting, and new methods of taking care of my kids that has strengthened our bond, and helped us better communicate with each other. She has a very sassy personality, and have a feeling she will always be a pistol.

It's funny how different they are. Lily is a very sweet, compassionate, sensitive child. She thrives in an artistic environment, and is already YEARS ahead of her classmates in artistic ability.

Ruby is much more analytical, and seems to be very scientifically minded. She is also a little comedienne.

I love watching them make discoveries and draw conclusions about everyday things. Some of the things they come up with completely blows my mind!

For the most part, they get along with one another, too. There are times when they fight, but these times are thankfully rare. Sometimes I feel like the luckiest person in the world, because I get to spend so much time with such wonderful little people. I am truly blessed, and I try to remember that when we are having a tough day.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment