Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 19: Religion/Politics

Day 19: Religion/Politics

The first thing that comes to mind, is that this is a hot button issue, and should be handled carefully. I feel these things really should not be discussed in mixed company, unless you are looking for drama, or a possibly long, drawn out lecture from someone you later wish would just shut the hell up. I don't really know what's gained by trying to sway the opinion of another person. As Tolstoy once cited, this is something that has a long history of not going well. Everyone seems to wait for his or her turn to talk, no one really listens, and things usually heat up in a way that is never comfortable for anyone.

That's not to say that I don't discuss these things. I just prefer to know my audience, and if I know I'm opening a can of worms, I will try to steer things to a much lighter topic.

That said, there are some people I do know who don't necessarily share my views, but who happen to be respectful enough that we can get into a debate and no one gets hurt. It's all about knowing who you are talking to, etc. Personally, I believe this takes time, and it can be sort of an intimate thing for that reason.

As far as my own views, I'll start in the order things were received here. Religion is something I tend to view in a larger scope. I don't adhere to one, and I take what's pertinent or useful from many. I am often very interested in learning about new ones and why people believe the way they do, so I do ask questions when the opportunity is presented.

I do, on occasion, pray, even. Sometimes I send good energy out into the universe. Sometimes I meditate. I would never, ever call myself an atheist, but I have a hard time when things become exclusive and I'm told that I must follow a specific doctrine, and no others.

Politically speaking, I have a tendency to follow whatever happens to coincide with my personal logic and common sense. I don't like the idea of toeing a party line, unless it's an extreme case, and the problems arising from me not doing so are ridiculous. I realize I'm only one person, but sometimes it comes down to that.

I do tend to hang on the liberal side of the fence, but I can see good and bad things from both sides.

So, there you have it.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment